Senior Project Manager
A Senior Project Manager will be part of the IT department that is launching activities to institutionalize the culture of Project Management across the client organisation. As a key member of this team, the incumbent will have to perform two roles:
1. A Senior Project Manager to perform management of several projects in the portfolio. The incumbent will be responsible for simultaneously managing scope, time, and resources across a number of projects at a time. S/he will assist the Head of the PM in launching and managing initiatives.
2. A PMO Coach/Expert who will advise project managers on process, governance, and approaches to mitigate risks. S/he will regularly and strictly review the compliance to PM standards of all IT project managers and monitor the progress of each project in the department’s portfolio.
The incumbent’s reporting line is as follows:
• 1st level supervisor: Lead, Project Management
• 2nd level supervisor: Head of the Project Management Office and Administration
The client will establish a brand new Center for Project Management based on PMBoK. This Center will be established within the IT department.
For this Center, the client wishes to recruit a Senior Project Manager (PM) who will be responsible to co-develop, evangelize and maintain the client project management methodology, the client specific tools/templates, the client customized training program as well as ways-of-working based on PMBoK. He or she will been seen as the role model of Project Management within the client.
Furthermore he or she will be responsible to assist projects through active intervention and individual coaching of project leaders, including IT project managers. As mentioned above, these projects can vary in scope and area. The Center will service the community of Project Leaders plus their team members and is sponsored by the client’s top Executive Management and next tier.
He or She will also be asked to manage a number of projects to advance several initiatives of the PM Center.
The selected candidate will have internal interfaces with world-wide customers, Program Managers and Project Managers and external contact with external suppliers and consultants.
The incumbent works closely with other PMO colleagues to ensure that projects are functioning well, and that processes and procedures are in place to support the smooth operations.
The expected deliverables of this engagement are the following, but not limited to:
• Project Documentation: ID Cards, PIDs/Project Charter, Plans, Status Reports,
• Project plan with tasks relating to the feasibility study, analysis of the process, discussion with vendors, capture of requirements from business, and documenting the results and steps forward
• As-Is and To-Be documentation of business requirements, processes, systems, and specifications.
• Functional Requirements, Functional Design, Technical Designs, if appropriate
• Support model defined (revised operational roles & responsibilities) and in place before roll out of the project
• Appropriate Policies and procedures, if any
• Training of end users, if relevant
It is envisioned that this engagement will be at least for 6 months due to the scope and
size of the project. Extensions or Renewals will depend on the Project Manager’s
performance and justified project delays as approved by the Project Board.
OTHER ASSIGNED DUTIES
1. Manage all assigned initiatives (possibly multiple initiatives at a time) including refinement and coordination of project governance processes.
2. Manage the projects effectively according to the triple-constraint of “scope-time resource” to ensure that the projects under her/his responsibilities remain at optimum efficiency and organization. Perform detailed project planning, resource scheduling, progress monitoring, issue resolution and risk management. Ensure smooth transition or handover of projects to operations team, if applicable.
3. Act as the principal point of contact point for the the client regarding status of assigned projects. Develop project related documentation e.g. project ID cards, business cases, project initiation documents, detailed stage plans etc.
4. Manage all senior stakeholder engagements and provide regular progress updates. Communicate issues to project team and the project governing bodies in a timely manner, and asks for intervention where necessary.
5. Manage relationship with all third party entities (near shore, offshore, or outsource) resources such as system integrators, contractors, or consultants in order to achieve the desired project outcomes.
1. Build and maintain relationships with the client senior (program and project) executives and act as a 'Trusted Advisor' on matters relating to Program and project management
2. Assist projects through active intervention and individual coaching of project leaders (both within and outside IT). For IT project manager, incumbent is expected to promote and adhere to the methodology established by the Project Management Office of the department.
3. Acts as a SWAT team for trouble assessment and recovery within running projects and programs
4. Co-develop and maintain the client project management methodology and the client specific tools/templates as well as ways-of-working
6. Provide steering and knowledge transfer to project leaders on the client specific methodology, adequacy of tools/templates and on ways-of-working
7. Gather and leverage best practices from inside and outside the client and contribute to the continuing development of a world-class Center
Change Management and Communications
1. Evangelize Project Management within the client and identify PM Champions within the client.
2. Communicate around the client the Project Management learning strategy and tactics including branding of learning and profession (career path), this in partnership with key stakeholders
3. Co-Develop and maintain global Project Management Curriculum including execution of training program and evaluating training effectiveness
ESSENTIAL KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS
• Strong team leadership, decisiveness, initiative, giving direction, influencing without power
• Ability to evaluate team behavior at all levels and possess the necessary credibility to coach/influence that behavior in a positive way
• Ability to guide, coach, advise, and/or challenge senior leadership and others to effect sustainable change in complex scenarios in large organisations
• Ability to use creative and innovative problem diagnosis and solving techniques that will produce breakthrough performance improvements
• Ability to apply process thinking, process design and process improvement methodologies to generate significant measurable benefits
• Ability to effectively collaborate with teams in an international, multi-cultural, multi-disciplinary environment; separated by geographical locations and working under different time-zones.
• Strong client focus and commitment to excellence
• High-level of professionalism, excellent planning & prioritizing;
• Executive presence and credibility
• Excellent communicator and ability to articulate complex topics
• Excellent presentation and interpersonal skills and able to deal with resistance
• Strong mentoring and coaching skills
• Open minded creativity when handling problems independently, commitment, and flexibility.
• Demonstrated ability to perform in high-pressure environments
• Ability to work independently or in team settings
• Ability to work in high ambiguity environments
• Deep facilitation experience
First-level university degree in Business Administration, Project Management, Engineering, Computer Science, Information Management, Finance, or related discipline.
Foundation certification in project management methodologies such as PMI (PMBoK), Prince 2, Scrum/Agile. Knowledge of PMBoK would be a definite advantage.
Training in Software Development Life Cycles, any application development methodology, or IT Infrastructure Library
At least 7 years of recent professional experience in programme / project planning, management and successful delivery of complex cross functional or interdependent projects, 5 years of which should be at the global or international level.
At least 4 years of demonstrated professional experience of leading or working in/with a Project Management office
At least 4 years of demonstrated professional experience of managing, mentoring, and/or coaching project managers.
Proven experience in writing business plans, project-related documentation, or technical papers.
Significant experience leading international/global teams.
Strong background in managing Client Relationships.
Experience in facilitating workshops, presentations to senior stake holders and managing change in a federated (decentralized) organization
Experience with leading, managing, and effecting change management, quality assurance, or business transformation.
Experience in leading and managing projects within the public (UN, international, other governmental) and/or private sector (e.g. multinational organizations).
Experience in leading and managing projects within the professional business services such as consulting.
Use of Language Skills
Expert knowledge in English (verbal and written).
Basic knowledge in French is desirable but not mandatory.
Other Essential IT Skills
MS Office Suite (Word, Excel, Outlook, Powerpoint, etc)
MS SharePoint, MS Visio, MS Project
Assignment duration: 6 months
Workload: 100%, on-site (Geneva)
Start date: from mid-January 2018Apply now